Dr. Niels Pedersen has made his book, Feline Husbandry, Diseases and Management in the Multi-Cat Environment available on the Center for Companion Animal Health (U.C. Davis) website at: https://ccah.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk4586/files/local_resources/pdfs/FelHusFull_book-optimized.pdf
Dr. Pedersen’s Feline Husbandry is an invaluable reference and is considered the “bible” for the serious cat breeder, rescuer and cat fosterer since its publication in 1991. He talks about how overcrowding and poor husbandry in catteries can lead to infectious diseases, behavioral issues and nutritional problems — all of which can be avoided by breeders learning proper ways to raise cats for their optimal health.
Eight highly respectable authorities present practical information on problems unique to multiple-cat environments. They cover the following areas:
- History of Domestic Cats and Cat Breeds, J. Wastlhuber-Miller
- Normal Genetics, Genetic Disorders, Developmental Anomalies and Breeding Programs, R. Robinson and N.C. Pedersen
- Reproduction and Reproductive Disorders, H.G. Stabenfeldt and N.C. Pedersen
- Nutrition and Nutritional Disorders, C.A. Buffington; Behavior and Behavioral Disorders, B.L. Hart and N.C. Pedersen
- Toxicology and Intoxications, G.D. Osweiler and G.F. Grauer
- Cattery Design and Management, N.C. Pedersen and J. Wastlhuber-Miller
- Common Infectious Diseases of Multiple-Cat Environments, N.C. Pedersen
While the book is decades old and some parts outdated, many parts of the 1991 edition remain relevant and can now be readily accessed online free of charge. The chapters are posted as PDF files, so you will require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. If you do not have Adobe® Acrobat Reader, you may download it for free from the Adobe® website.